Petition by Dr. Ravi Nair and Dr. Asok Das, homeopathic physicians requesting the Central Government to permit homeopathic treatment of mild cases of COVID-19 was turned down by the Supreme Court.
The Petitioners contended that according to their observational research there were certain homeopathic medicines which would help in fighting and preventing the COVID-19 virus. They claim that their Fundamental Right under Article 21 of the Constitution stands violated because although they have been successful in coming up with this solution, the State Boards and authorities have not given approval for their clinical trials.
They further claimed that there was ample scope in the homeopathic system of medicines to combat COVID-19 as it is not based on causative pathogenic microbes. The advantages of homeopathic treatment could be as follows:
· The chances of the spread of the transmission of the virus in its active stage can be decreased due to early recovery.
· Homeopathic treatment would prevent the progress of the disease ultimately reducing complications so as to reduce the burden on hospitals, as the need of institutional management having instruments like ventilation, oxygen machines would be minimised.
· The number of allopathic hospital in the country is very limited with a less number of doctors whereas a homeopathic physician is available almost everywhere in India even at the most remote location possible.
· Homeopathic treatment is less costly as it does not require costly laboratory equipments for the diagnosis of COVID-19.
· Homeopathy in the past epidemic diseases has proved quite effective.
· Homeopathic treatment is safe, effective, reliable, economic and easily available to all.
The Petitioners sought the help of the Ministry of AYUSH to approve the treatment of mild cases of COVID-19 by only homeopathic medicines and in cases of critical conditions to adopt a integrated approach.
The Bench comprising of Chief Justice of India S.A. Bobde, Justice A.S. Bopanna and Justice V. Ramasubramanian struck down the petition by the homeopathic physicians.
- By Arpit Goyal